Dr. Sharmila Kayal is currently an Associate Professor with the Department of Communication Management under the School of Media and Communication at Adamas University in Kolkata. Before joining Adamas University, she was a full-time research scholar at Pondicherry Central University in Puducherry. There, she was a recipient of the university-accredited UGC Research Fellowship for five years. She did her Master’s degree in Journalism and Mass Communication from Ravenshaw University in Cuttack. Her Master’s degree dissertation ‘Non Verbal Communication through Indian Classical Dance & Music – With Special reference to ‘Odissi’’ was highly appreciated and also cited. She obtained a Postgraduate Diploma in Computer Application in the year 2007 from F.M. Autonomous College in Balasore. She also has a B.A. Degree in Sociology (Honours) with Education as Elective. She received a First Class with Distinction and was a university rank holder. In 2009-10, she also worked as a Guest Faculty of Journalism and Mass Communication of a UGC Add-on-Course at Fakir Mohan Autonomous College in Balasore. Her undergraduate dissertation ‘Widowhood Problems of Bengali Community – A Special Reference to the Rural Dwellers of East Medinipur’ was well acclaimed by the Department of Sociology for the niche empirical field study with proper quantitative techniques. Further, she was an intern and later worked as a trainee Journalist at The Sambad, North Odisha Division, Balasore. She was a Programme Executive at the Television Channel Omm TV. She got more than fifty bylines as an intern and later on as a trainee journalist while with The Sambad. She was also recruited by ETV as a Special Correspondent/ Reporter in 2009. She has actively participated in international conferences held in Dubai in 2018 and Bangkok in 2019, where her papers were published in reputed and prestigious journals. She has papers in the Indian Journal of Ecology, a NAAS-credited and Scopus-indexed journal. She also has an additional Master’s degree in Criminology and Police Administration, which she completed in 2015.
Awards & Achievements:
She takes the opportunity to discover her potentiality in Public Relations as ‘Associate Member’ of PRSI (Public Relations Society of India), Kolkata Chapter. It’s her honour to be aScientific Committee Member at the 5thand 6thWorld Conference on Media and Mass Communication held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 2019 and to be held at Sardinia, Italy, 2020.
‘RULA’ International Award 2018 for paper entitled ‘Impact of Media on Health Awareness and Changing Opinion for Women Empowerment’, accredited by Idamas Learning Center, Malaysia in association with ‘International journal for Research under Literal Access’.
Accepted research paper in the Fifth Annual Ph.D. Student Conference in Journalism and Communication Studies (APSCJC) 17-18 December, 2011 held at Communication University of China, Beijing (in capacity of Doctoral Research Scholar in Pondicherry Central University).
Accepted research paper in International Conference on ‘Second Life’ at University of Communication, Uruguay, 9-11 2012 (in capacity of Doctoral Research Scholar in Pondicherry Central University).
The paper entitled ‘analysing and understanding the phenomenon of gratification as a methodology in contemporary society: an exploratory research’ selected and accepted in 4th World Conference on Media and Mass Communication (MEDCOM ‘18), ‘Power of Media; Shaping the Future’ at Bangkok, Thailand, 5th to 7th April, 2018.
The paper entitled ‘Diasporic identities and their representation through south Asian cinema’ selected and accepted in Third Conference in South Asia, Ireland India Institute Conference 2019 Organized by Dublin City University, Ireland, 24th to 26th April.
- ‘Indian Television Advertisements and Portrayal of “Anti Fat Myth Prejudices”: A Discourse Analysis’– UGC Approved Journal (Peer Reviewed Indian Journal of ‘The Indian National Journal of English Language & Literature’, Jan-March 2018, ISSN : 2321-1172 (Online) and ISSN : 2347-2634 (Print), Vol : 6, Issue : 21
- ‘Impression Management on Social Networking Sites : Special Reference in the Context of Fake News’– As Co Author, in International Journal of ‘Research and Analytical Reviews (IJRAR)’, Jan-March 2018, E-ISSN: 2348-1269, P-ISSN : 2349-5138. Vol: 5 (3), p-769-776.
- ‘Impact of Media on Health Awareness and Changing Opinion for Women Empowerment’- International Journal of ‘Scientific and Engineering Research (IJSER)’, Volume 9, Issue 8, August 2018, ISSN- 2229-5518, p- 562-579.
- ‘Bollywood in Australia : Analysis of Genre having Maximum Impact’– As Co-Author, in the book chapter ‘Connect between Indian & World Cinema’ in the book of ‘World Cinema & Alternate Networks’, Kanishka Publishers, p-11-22, January 2019, ISBN-978-81-937070-9-8.
- “Streaming Platforms As Stand-Alone Platforms”- A Cable Tv Alternative!!! Analytical Study About The Paradigm Shift Of Economy of Indian Cinema’’– as a book chapter ‘Cinema in the Digital Age’ in the book of ‘Indian Cinema : Filmic Content, Social Interface and New Technologies’, Kanishka Publishers, p-185-192, , ISBN- 978-81-8457-863-8
- “Subliminal Advertising and Position of Women in Indian Advertising Industry’’ – Peer reviewed UGC listed International Journal of ‘AJANTA (Journal No-40776)’, Volume-VIII, Issue-I, January-March 2019, ISSN- 2277-5730, p- 95-103.
- “Role of Social Networking Sites in Spreading Awareness Against Child Abuse’’ As Co-Author, UGC and ISSN Approved – International Peer Reviewed Journal, Refereed Journal, Indexed Journal (JETIR), Impact Factor: 5.87, ISSN: 2349-5162, Volume 6 | Issue 4 | 2019-04-25, Page no- 102-105.DOI-http://doi.one/10.1729/Journal.20544.
- ‘Role of Social Media in Creation of Awareness for Sustainable Development Goal in Higher Education’– As Co-Author, UGC listed International Journal of ‘Communication & Media Studies’ (IJCMS), Impact Factor: 2.80, ISSN: 2250-0014 (Print), Volume 9 | Issue 3 | Edition May-June 2019, Page no- 131-142
- ‘Depiction of Gender Inequalities in Animation Films : An Indian Scenario’– Principal Author, International Journal of Media and Information Literacy, Published in the Slovak Republic (Academic Publishing House Researcher s.r.o.) E-ISSN- 2500-106X, 2019,4 (1) : 11-17, DOI : 10.13187/ijmil.2019.1.11, page No- 11-17
The area of Specialization includes Advertising, Television Journalism, Film Studies and Health Communication.